Monday, August 26, 2013

Stop the presses! The Bernina got some action yesterday!!!

It has been quite some time since I have been here. A lot has happened. I was given a gentle reminder that I need to get back to the blog and it was good advice.

A lot has happened this summer. As I mentioned, my mother-in-law came to live with us in April. It was quite challenging on most days. On the 2nd of July she became ill and this lingered into the 3rd of July. She kept saying she was feeling better but I knew something was wrong. She wanted us to be able to go to the lake to have our big 4th of July celebration complete with fireworks. Naturally, we nixed the importance of the 4th of July. What followed was an emergency surgery and a month in the hospital and then to rehab in a nursing home. Sadly, her other illnesses did not allow her to recover and she passed away on August 1st. It was a blessing and it is what she wanted. She was ready. It was one of the reasons she came home to family rather than be in Florida by herself.

It has been a long, painful summer and Jeff and I are just starting to emerge from all that has gone on. We still have things to deal with and those could go for some time but hopefully they will not. We have managed to have a couple of semi-relaxing weekends at the lake and it has been nice.

I cannot recall if it was in May or June that I picked up a kit at Guild for a charity quilt. Of course it has been haunting me the entire summer. What do I do next? I pick up another kit at Guild last Tuesday to make a Quilt of Valor Quilt. The kits are nice because the pieces are all cut, directions included in the kit and all one has to do is sew, sew, sew! Okay so now I have two kits to do. In addition, I have been working on the binding for a charity quilt that Nancy and I put together last fall after our Quilt Retreat. How long does it take to hand stitch the binding on a 48 inch square quilt? Apparently forever! I left it at the lake, unfortunately, so there will be no work on that this week!

But, but, but....yesterday I had time to sew and I decided I needed to do something. So I decided to make the first charity quilt. Must do things in the order that they came into the house! It is a simple quilt but pretty much right now that is all I can handle.


I just have to put the borders on and piece the binding strips and return it for quilting. It will eventually get back to me for binding. I was going to quilt it myself or so I told myself when I originally picked the kit up. I decided I am not up for it and it should go to one of our generous longarmers for quilting. My hope is that it will be done tomorrow so I can take it to "therapy" and pass it off to the coordinator. Must check to see if she is going to be at "therapy".

It felt good to sew. It felt really good.

Now, I must decide on a star block for our block lottery at the Seacoast Modern Quilt Guild. I'm looking forward to that road trip in early September. We are going to Portland, Maine! I know it will be fun and inspiring. If you check out Amy's blog, During Quiet Time, you will see the star blocks that she made. Of course I have not figured out linking...and, if I ever knew it, I forgot! So I've put in a bold font to help you google it! I noticed she is sharing a paper pieced design for free. Hurry on over. I'm going over after I get this blog post finished.

I've got lots of other things going on too. I have taken on the newsletter for our Guild. I hope I can do as good a job as our previous publisher. It is good to learn things and believe me this will be on a major learning curve! I hope it is not a slippery one though!

Well, I think that is it for today. Nancy, I hope this a good start! It does appear that I need to clean some things up around here. Amy did move her blog and I need to update things like that. Oh well....these things take time.

Have a productive day and I'm going to aim for the same!



1 comment:

  1. It is nice to see you here again....one step forward!!!!
    NJP

    ReplyDelete